PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team fell to non-conference opponent UMass, 1-0, on Sunday, Oct. 8 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Despite holding the advantage in shots (11-10) and penalty corners (6-2), the Friars were unable to capitalize with a goal. Providence dropped to 8-5 overall on the year, while the Minutewomen improved to 10-4.
Providence - 0 | Massachusetts- 1
Providence - 8-5 | Massachusetts - 10-4
Lennon Family Field - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The two teams went into halftime in a scoreless draw.
- Providence outshot UMass, 7-6, in opening 35 minutes and also led in penalty corners, 3-1.
- Emily Hazard made five first-half saves for the Minutewomen, while Providence's Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) collected three saves in the opening half.
- UMass took a 1-0 lead at 39:32 as Sarah Hawkshaw collected pass from Lucy Cooper on a give-and-go as the duo entered the circle. Hawkshaw one-timed the feed from seven yards out on the right side.
- Overall, the Friars held the advantage in shots (11-10), shots on goal (7-6) and penalty corners (6-2).
- Guilbert completed the game with five saves, while Hazard registered seven for UMass.
39:32 - Sarah Hawkshaw (Lucy Cooper) - give and go into circle
PROVIDENCE GAME HIGHS
Shots: Manon van Weezel (4)
MASSACHUSETTS GAME HIGHS
Points: Sarah Hawkshaw (2)
Goals: Sarah Hawkshaw (1)
Assists: Lucy Cooper (1)
Shots: Sarah Hawkshaw (3)
Providence will return to action on Friday, Oct. 13 against BIG EAST foe Georgetown. The game will be played at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. and is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m.
- GO FRIARS! -